This article has been researched and written by Arelang Naturals® in-house writers.
You are what you eat. As I reside in my 30s, I've come to realize the astonishing impact nutrition has on our overall well-being. Feeling sluggish, mood swings, tiredness, and sleepless nights. Growing up is not so fun after all. And the number one thing I learned at 30 is that all of this can be fixed by nutrition. So, let's dive into the ten juicy nuggets I wish I had known before hitting my 30’s.
- Macro and Micronutrients: Feast on Knowledge! Pass the knowledge platter, please! They say to eat a balanced meal, so we eat a couple of rotis and veggies with dal on the side. Balanced diets mean that you need a balance between macro and micronutrients. While the foods we eat make up for the macros like the carbs, proteins, fats and fibres, supplements are required to replenish your micros. A lot of your physical issues, including energy, stamina, mood, hormonal fluctuations, and weight issues could be due to a lack of micronutrients.
- Adaptogens: As we enter the dark side, aka the 30s, stress, feelings of anger, sadness, and mood swings become real. Discovering adaptogens so late in my life is a regret I have, but I hope you won't. Adaptogens are natural plant-based ingredients that help calm your nerves, reduce stress and cortisol levels, and enhance mood. Move aside chamomile green tea, Ashwagandha is the new thing. There are plenty of supplements available in the market, but taking plenty is not a solution. Supplements like Rekindle For Women and Rekindle For Men are made of these plant-based ingredients in a formulation that not only helps elevate mood & reduce stress but also helps balance hormones.
- Mindful Eating: Mindful eating is not just about watching what we eat and keeping count of the calorific and nutritive input. Its also about paying attention and focusing on the foods you are eating while you are eating them. “Stop watching TV while you eat, and get your phone off the dining table” definitely made my parents sound like tyrants. But in my 30s, I realized why this was one of the most important things. The body is able to digest foods that we enjoy and focuses on digesting and absorbing it way better. Mindful eating is all about being present and savouring every morsel you put into you. Slow down, enjoy the flavours, listen to your body's cues, and bid farewell to mindless munching. It's a date with your food, and YOU are the star of the show!
- Fad Diets: Keto, paleo, intermittent, extreme caloric deficit diets, the list is endless. But what works? It's not these fad diets, the quicksand of Nutrition. Picture this: quick fixes promising miracles but sinking you more profoundly into disappointment. I came to realize that any diet which takes an ENTIRE FOOD GROUP out of your daily meal can neither be healthy nor sustainable. So fad diets? Nope, not on my plate! Embrace sustainable and small shifts in your lifestyle and diet habits. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint, on the road to optimal health.
- Supplementing: Foods today aren’t the powerhouses they once used to be. Imagine a tomato from our grandparent's time was the size of a full-grown pumpkin. And now the same tomato is smaller than our palm. Imagine how many nutrients we could get if we still had that tomato today. But as with all things in life, good things vanish over time. So supplementing the lack of micronutrients from external sources. But another thing I realized is OTC pills do more harm than good. Also, collagen supplements and over-the-skin treatments really do nothing. It is crucial to supplement with plant-based ingredients such that our livers, skin, hair, and immunity do not suffer in the process. Finding Replenish With Greens and Phytos for overall immunity, hair, skin, and nails and finding Rekindle For Women for hormonal balance has been a blessing in disguise. Just as they say, a supplement a day keeps your nutritional mess away!
- Hydration Station: Sip, Sip, Hooray! Can you hear the H2O party? Hydration is the ultimate thirst quencher, fueling your digestion, enhancing your skin's glow, and boosting your energy levels. There is nothing a glass or two of water cannot solve.
- Sugar: Sweeten your edibles wisely! And read those labels. Sugar may tickle our taste buds, but including too much of it can lead to a sour health story. We often tend to devour a lot of sugar-filled food, all thanks to the cravings, beware of these hidden culprits! A lot of labels have hidden sugars, you can read more about them here. Remember to balance the sugar scale, even while taking supplements.
- Exercise: Exercise and nutrition go together like peanut butter and jelly. Incorporating a good exercise routine into your daily life offers a multitude of benefits that positively impacts our physical & mental health. Get moving, find activities that make your heart sing, and watch as your body dances with delight. Fuel it right, move it tight!
- Hormonal Balance: Hormones - we all know what these are! Chemical messengers in our body make our mood and body go from lit to blah in no time! But, it's important to balance these messengers. A lot of imbalances can tire you out, make your function out of excess stress and anxiety, give you sleepless nights and wreak havoc. It would be ideal to ensure you eat foods that balance every hormone in your body. If you are unable to get this from your meals, it is essential to supplement for the same. Ashwagandha, shatavari, and more are trusty additions to any diet.
- Sleep has more to do with nutrition than you think: Sleeping well is underrated. As you age stress levels increase leaving you feeling like you are a zombie. It harms your body and heart in ways you cannot fathom. Eating the right foods and exercising are essential for melatonin production. While you might think pulling an all-nighter is fun, remember your body is suffering. Restore Your Sleep chocolates use natural melatonin from walnuts that makes sure your body releases melatonin and functions without getting dependent on chemical sources of melatonin.
I learnt these nutritional nuggets the hard way, I hope this is something you won't. Armed with this newfound knowledge, we can tackle the hurdles of adulthood with gusto. Remember, your plate is your canvas, and your choices paint the masterpiece of your health.