This article has been researched and written by Arelang Naturals® in-house writers.
I'm blue da ba dee da ba di, Yo, listen up here's a story, About a little guy, yeah we know you want to sing along with us, but no. We are seriously going to tell you about this little guy called algae.
You know the blue-green stuff you see in the ocean? Most of it is algae. It looks slimy and scary but it is in fact a really important part of our biome - earth-wise and food-wise. Our lives literally depend on it. And no, we aren’t exaggerating. It is responsible for close to 50% of our planet’s oxygen supply. So it gives us the air we breathe, the food we eat, and gives our food the food it eats. Tongue twister much?
The food benefits of algae are remarkable and probably the most underrated. But, one particular type of algae, Spirulina, a single-celled organism, is gaining popularity slowly and steadily in the health and wellness market. This is a type of algae that grows in freshwater lakes, rivers, ponds, and in space and such. (Yeah, really. NASA suggested it can grow in space and feed astronauts.) Just one tiny alga is power-packed with nutrients and has a blue-green pigment called phycocyanin. This pigment has to be one of the most extraordinary components of Spirulina. It is because of this pigment that it is the most important of all the supplements. Here are some of the many health benefits:
- Spirulina is an amazing antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties
- It helps reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body - say bye to bad heart health
- Studies suggest that it may have anti-cancer properties
- It helps lower blood pressure
- Studies suggest that it can help reduce anemia in adults
- It could help improve muscle strength and endurance
- It could help control blood sugar levels
- Studies suggest that just 1 tbsp of Spirulina can give you up to 4gms of protein - this is comparable to what 1 egg can give you.
- It is a rich source of Vitamin B12
The list of benefits is endless. Spirulina is sure on its way to becoming a “superfood”.
There's another one from the algae family that is gaining traction in the market. Chlorella. Single-celled algae, this one is super nutritious and safe for human consumption. It is comprised of 50% protein and is also a rich source of fibre, iron, complex carbs and good fat. It has a host of benefits and here are a few of them:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Has a high content of Vitamin C
- Helps reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body
- May help treat viral hepatitis
- Could reduce the risk of some types of pregnancy complications
- A rich source of vitamin B12
- Known to reduce aches and pains
- Helps boost energy
- Helps improve skin, nails, and hair
These superfoods definitely need to be a part of your daily diet. Now, you don’t need to go fishing for algae to get all these benefits. Both Spirulina and Chlorella are available in the form of powders, pills, granules, and now also in the form of our yummy confectionary supplements. Our Replenish Your Greens Gummies give you a potent and quality dose of spirulina and chlorella, so you really don’t need to look any further. Read more about our gummies here.
P.S. As we have always maintained, remember to read those labels and use supplements that give you just as much as your body needs.