This article has been researched and written by Arelang Naturals® in-house writers.
The female body and its hormonal system are incredibly intricate and complex. In a perfect world, the hormonal system is well balanced, with all hormones working together holistically and amicably. But most women may experience changes in hormone levels at different points in their lives, and even the most minute imbalance may cause undesired side effects in the body in the form of PMS, painful periods, mood swings and even unnecessary weight gain.
Both estrogen and progesterone are meant to work in tandem: each balancing the level of the other to promote holistic communication with the brain, ovaries and adrenal glands. Estrogen is one of the most prevalent hormones to go out of whack and cause hormonal imbalances in the female body. This may be in the form of it being too high or too low, but more often than not, estrogen becomes ‘dominant’ over its relatively more protective counterpart progesterone. This phenomenon is known as estrogen dominance. Another way of this occurring is when progesterone levels dwindle.
TOn the flip side, incase of low estrogen levels, one may question how to increase estrogen in females. Before we answer that first lets look at the difference between estrogen and progesterone.
So this is the cycle. Estrogen comes in various forms in the body. The most common and powerful kind is estradiol, also known as E2. E2 is responsible for building the dense lining of the placenta in the uterus in the first half of the menstrual cycle. It is also responsible for maintaining sturdy bones, boosting libido and improving skin health.
Progesterone, on the other hand, is secreted in the latter half of the menstrual cycle, once ovulation has taken place. It controls and maintains the uterine lining that the estrogen forms in the first half of the cycle. It also promotes steady moods, reduces anxiety and restful sleep.
Hormonal imbalances between these two hormones are attributed to bad nutrition, stress, sleep deprivation, an unhealthy gut or even exposure to toxins. It is important to manoeuvre towards a better balance of estrogen for long term hormonal health and wholesome wellbeing.
The symptoms of estrogen dominance can be distressing and painful, some of which are listed below:
- PMS/Menstrual Cramps
- Mood swings
- Headaches & Migraines
- Breast Tenderness
- Low Libido
- Heavy Periods
- Weight Gain
- Hair loss
- Insomnia and Anxiety
Some of the other factors that add to high estrogen symptoms are mentioned below:
- Insufficient fibre in the body: Fibre helps bind estrogen to excrete it through the bowel
- Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol: Alcohol has an increasing effect of estrogen levels in the blood
- Mineral deficiencies: of minerals like zinc, selenium, iodine & magnesium
- Vitamin deficiencies: of folic acid, B6, B12
Can one reverse estrogen dominance? While addressing estrogen dominance may seem challenging, there are certain measures you can take to combat and reverse it. Eating a diet that supports hormone balance is key for the treatment of high estrogen in females. Here are some ways to reverse estrogen excess in the body, subsequently reducing high estrogen symptoms:
- Consuming Phytoestrogen rich foods: These are plant foods that have a structure that is similar to estrogen but a much weaker effect in the body. It can be beneficial for high estrogen symptoms in females because it blocks the effects of the stronger estrogens. These come in the form of flaxseeds, legumes like mung beans, chickpeas and black beans, sesame seeds, garlic, dried apricots, dates, prunes, parsley, dill, sage, green tea, fennel and so on. These foods are known for treatment for high estrogen in females.
- Reducing alcohol consumption: While you may think that that one glass of chardonnay will do no harm to you, it has the potential to increase estrogen levels, even if it’s just a glass. Try to limit your drinks as much as you can.
- Getting enough fibre: Fibre is not only crucial for proper digestion, but also helps to detoxify estrogen through the bowel. Make sure you consume psyllium husk, flax seeds, or chia seeds with some water, because that stuff will do you good.
- Eating those cruciferous vegetables daily: These vegetables comprise of indol-3-carbinol, that helps assist metabolism of estrogen through the liver. This means eating a serving of broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts or watercress a day will help fight that excess of estrogen in the female body.
- Rekindle for Women: While doing the above will help fight estrogen dominance, it can be aided and amplified by having a multivitamin blend of the finest ingredients. What makes it better is that it is a delectable center filled chocolate bite that helps with hormone imbalance in the body.
Evidently, hormonal imbalance may affect the natural functioning of the female body. If you find yourself at either end of the spectrum, questioning how to increase estrogen in females, or how to combat estrogen dominance, corrective action to reverse an extreme condition is key. These chemical disparities are reversible and using Rekindle for Women along with a healthy diet is the most holistic way to keep it under control. Together, this will help maintain normal hormonal functioning and promote overall well-being of the female body.