This article has been researched and written by Arelang Naturals® in-house writers.
Delicious, Delicious berries! And red-ripe tomatoes! Brunch dreams are made of these. Our mouths start to water, as soon as we think about the colours, the taste, and how yum anything becomes with berries and fruits.
But these three serve more than just the purpose of improving your dining experience. Berries and tomatoes are healthy, and the colored pigments in them give you essential phytonutrients that provide immunity and help your body fight illness to sustain itself for the long haul.
But, how nutritious can these even be? A few berries here and there are enough right? What quantity should I be eating?
Before we deep dive into everything that these three give you and how powerful they are together, let's talk a little about phytonutrients. We always focus on getting enough greens onto our plates and into our bodies. But what all of us ignore are the veritable colours of fruits and veggies that mother nature so carefully crafted. The same pigments that give these beauties their colour also save them from disease & harm. These benefits extend to us humans as well when we consume them. These are your phytonutrients or phytochemicals.
There are around 25,000 different phytonutrients, but let's talk about some important ones that you get from goji berries, blueberries, and tomatoes.
- GOJI BERRIES: These bright little charmers are more than just good lookers. For over 2000 years, these tiny fruits have been revered for their medicinal benefits. Native to Asia, these berries have been used in traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean medicine. Now considered a superfood across the world, they pack the following essentials:
- Vitamins: A, B1, B2, B6, C, E
- Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Copper, Selenium, Zinc
- Phytochemicals: Beta-carotene, Zeaxanthin, Lycopene, Cryptoxanthin, Lutein
- Amino Acids
- Unsaturated Fatty Acids: Alpha-linolenic Acid, Linoleic Acid
Being an abundant source of these natural essentials, they offer the following benefits when consumed in the right quantity and quality:
- Rich source of antioxidants, ranking high on the ORAC score
- Enhances Immunity
- Protects against most age-related eye diseases
- Muscle relaxant properties
- Simulates the production of sexual hormones
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- BLUEBERRIES: Extremely delicious, extremely loveable, these berries are little pieces of heaven. Not just to taste, but also for all the health benefits they have. Here’s what you’ll find in the blueberries:
- Vitamins: C and K
- Minerals: Magnesium, Copper
- Phytochemicals: Flavonoids like anthocyanin, quercetin, carotenoids, phenolic acids
Phytonutrients have a huge role to play in how these berries taste, the way they look, and the benefits that they offer:
- Improved heart health
- Blood sugar regulation
- Improves cognitive function
- May reduce the risk of certain types of cancer
- Help ease hypertension
- Increases testosterone production in men
- Prevents skin damage
- Reduces cholesterol
- TOMATOES: Love you from my head, to-ma-toes. Sorry, we had to add a pun somewhere in our blog. So the very abundantly available, very underrated tomato is worth all the hype it can garner. One of the richest sources of Lycopene, a carotenoid phytochemical, it packs so many things:
- Vitamin: A, C, B6, Folates
- Minerals: Potassium, Iron, Phosphorus
- Phytochemicals: Carotenoids like lycopene, Alpha, and beta carotene
- Amino Acids
- Unsaturated Fatty Acids
This underdog is so good for you, yet you tend to pick it out from your salad, pizzas, and pasta. Here’s why you should leave those tomatoes be:
- Improves metabolism
- Helps liver and kidney function
- Reduces the risk of age-related diseases like Alzheimer's
- Strengthens bones
- Great source of antioxidants
- Helps reduce bad cholesterol
- Acts as an antidepressant
- Helps maintain testosterone production in men
- Improves overall immunity
Imagine all these benefits daily for your body. Three little things but big mighty wonders. We know it could be hard to get the quantity and quality right. It is hard to find the richest, ripest tomatoes and even harder to find goji berries and blueberries at your local grocers in India. To make life easy, we’ve put the most potent extracts from these three into our candyceuticals. Our Replenish With Phytos gummy bears pack all these benefits. Just two gummies a day and you have a circle of protection around your body. Of course, you can continue eating these fruits, but to get the right nutrients going into your body, you need to supplement. So check our yummy candy supplements out here.